HJOj_SKjmQIGQwfbde_0DpO42c0 That Drawer in the Kitchen: Planet of the Jakes: Breakfast of Champions

Monday, June 16, 2014

Planet of the Jakes: Breakfast of Champions

“Dad...”  Jakob said, walking into the laundry room.  I was doing my last minute ironing, right before rushing off to work.  Like I do every other morning.

“What’s up, Jakob?”  I asked, turning the shirt that I was ironing over to make a run on the other side.
drying cleaning is so overrated.
drying cleaning is so overrated.
Sarah didn’t eat any of the pizza we left for her last night.”  He stated matter of factly.

“Yea.  I know.”  Sarah was off on another school related function until late the night before.  I forced the other animals to save her a couple of slices of plain pizza, which she didn’t bother eating when she got home.  “Why do you care?”

“Just saying.”  He replied rather casually, walking around the mess that is our laundry room.

I stopped ironing for a moment, to figure out what this kid’s play was.  Was he just being a narc?  Did he want the pizza?  Did he want me to save him the pizza for when he got home from school?  “Ok.  Well...”  I hesitated.  “You can have them if you want them.”

“Ok.”  Jakob said, quickly turning away, leaving me to my ironing solitude.

I finished up the shirt, ran the iron over my pants (look...i don’t care what they say.  “Wrinkle free” is not really “wrinkle free”.  Neither is “wrinkle resistant”.  Especially when you leave the clothes in the laundry basket for too long.  Like days.) and headed upstairs to finish getting ready for work.  Jakob was sitting at the kitchen table, eating the pizza.

“You’re eating the pizza now?”  I asked, laughing.

He shrugged.  “You said I could.”

“I didn’t think you were going to eat it for breakfast.”

He took a swig of some orange looking liquid.  “But, you said I could.”  He repeated.
“Wait.”  I said, looking at the glass.  “Are you drinking orange juice?”

c'mon!  like you never thought about it?
c'mon! it totally sounds delicious! you know it!
“Yea?”  He replied, like I was the crazy one.

“Pizza and orange juice?”

He nodded, taking another bite of the pizza.

“For breakfast?”

“Yea.”  He replied.  “There’s still another piece of plain...” Jakob looked at me, questioningly.

“You can have it?”  I shrugged.

“Ok.”  He said, getting up to put the slice in the microwave.

“Pizza and orange juice.”  I muttered, leaving the kitchen.  “Now that’s the breakfast of champions.”

If you haven't checked out the new "mini" show, that I'm really disappointed in you.  Really disappointed!



Images courtesy of:
Pizza:  https://www.flickr.com/photos/bill_roehl/
Orange Juice:  https://www.flickr.com/photos/bepster/

No comments:

Post a Comment